- 06. Juni 2019
World Environment Day: In 2019, the CMA CGM Group reinforces its environmental objectives
- Since 2015, CO2 emissions per container transported per kilometer have been reduced by 17%
- By 2022, the Group will have taken delivery of 20 vessels powered by LNG
- CMA CGM is the first shipping company in the world to have trialed biofuel oil on board a container ship
CMA CGM, a pioneer in environmental protection
The Group is firmly committed to the reduction of its carbon footprint and has implemented numerous initiatives to make its fleet more eco-responsible. In recent years, the Group has introduced many innovations to reduce the carbon footprint of its vessels, including:
- Improvements in ship design to improve their penetration into the water and thus reduce their fuel consumption,
- Latest-generation engines which reduce fuel consumption by an average of 3% and oil consumption by 25%,
- An approved ballast water treatment system which clears the discharged water of any living organisms that may harm marine life, without releasing any chemicals into the sea,
- The creation of a Fleet Navigation Center, enabling the Group’s vessels to optimize their routes in order to reduce their fuel consumption and thus their CO2 emissions.
Thanks to its actions, the Group has achieved a 50% reduction in CO2 emissions per container transported per kilometer between 2005 and 2015. It has achieved a further 17% reduction between 2015 and 2018, in line with its 2025 objective of -30%.
CMA CGM, a leader in the energy transition of the maritime industry
Testimony to its ambition for the energy transition of the maritime industry, the Group has become a pioneer in the use of liquefied natural gas (LNG) as a marine fuel. This energy source reduces CO2 emissions by up to 25%, sulfur and fine particles emissions by 99% and nitrogen oxide emissions by 85%.
Since 2018, the Group has thus taken delivery of its first two LNG-powered vessels and it will receive a total of 20 LNG-powered container ships by 2022, including nine 22,000-TEU (Twenty-foot Equivalent Units) vessels to be delivered from next year.
In 2019, CMA CGM also became the first shipping company in the world to successfully test a biofuel oil on board one of its container ships. This major step in the decarbonization of ocean freight will highlights the prospects for the development of marine biofuel oil.
This commitment is driven by the strong human and family values shared by the Group’s 110,000 employees, who act on a daily basis to build a sustainable future. Their work is regularly acknowledged; in 2018, CMA CGM received a total of 40 distinctions and awards and was ranked among the 1% most responsible companies in the field of transport by specialized agency EcoVadis. This is fully in line with the CSR policy of the CMA CGM Group, which today unveils its 2018 CSR Report.
Discover the dedicated video
Download the CMA CGM Group’s 2018 CSR Report
About CMA CGM
Led by Rodolphe Saadé, the CMA CGM Group is a world leader in shipping and logistics.
Its 511 vessels serve more than 420 ports on five continents around the world and carried nearly 21 million TEUs (twenty-foot equivalent units) in 2018. With CEVA, a world leader in logistics services, CMA CGM handled more than 500,000 tons of airfreight and 1.9 million tons of inland freight in 2018.
CMA CGM is constantly innovating to offer customers new maritime, inland and logistics solutions.
Present on every continent and in 160 countries through its network of 755 offices and 750 warehouses, the Group employs 110,000 people worldwide, of which 2,400 in Marseille where its head office is located.
Media & Press